The Concept of An Open Business Plan
Example: Neda's By* Libre Services
LinuxFest NW 2011
|Document Number:||Records-201105012 [ .bib ]|
|Dated:||April 29, 2011|
|Federated Publications:||ByTopic -- ByContent|
|AccessPage Revision:||This AccessPage was produced on May 09, 2013 at 13:36 PDT (-0700)|
|Organization:||Neda Communications, Inc|
- PDF: -- 484K -- Provides the document in Portable Document Format.
- PS: -- 9.0M -- Provides the document in Postscript format for printing.
- HTML: -- 540K -- Displays the document as a web page.
AVAILABLE OTHER FORMS
Traditionally business plans have been highly confidential and quite limited in audience. The business plan itself is generally regarded as secret. However the emergence of free software and open source has opened the model and made the notion of an open business plan possible. An open business plan is a business plan with unlimited audience. The business plan is typically web published and made available to all. In the free software and open source business model, trade secrets, copyright and patents can no longer be used as effective locking mechanisms to provide sustainable advantages to a particular business and therefore a secret business plan is less relevant in those models. While the origin of the open business plan model is in the free software and Libre Services arena, the concept is likely applicable to other domains. In theory, a business plan has many uses and purposes. As a strategic plan it gives the organization its direction, defines priorities, guides allocation of resources, defines goals, objectives, processes and strategies; and identifies and focuses the business on specific markets and revenue sources. In practice most business plans are none of the above. Instead they are purely a tool for fundraising. The dotCon era (late 1990s) demonstrated how business plans can become an agreement document between entrepreneurs and Venture Capitalists on how to engage in spin and flip and pump and dump activities. That makes the requirement for the business plan being secret even stronger. In what we believe is a first in the history of business practice, we are publishing our business model in the form of an Open Business Plan. The plan is freely available on our website to be read by anyone. The primary url for Neda's Open Business Plan is: http://www.neda.com/StrategicVision/BusinessPlan Our business model of not using the locking mechanisms of trade secrets, copyright and patents plus the notion of an open business plan is very difficult to digest for Venture Capitalists. Yet, the scope and scale of what we are trying to do requires facilitation of external participation including capital investment. Our engagement with Venture Capitalists typically starts here: http://www.neda.com/StrategicVision/Participating/Investment/StartHere Insisting on this honest and transparent model has come at a price. We point with pride to the fact of having been thrown out of the offices of some of the most prestigious high-technology venture capital companies in the Pacific Northwest. In this presentation, we will provide an overview of the model that we have been following and the lessons we have learned from interacting with VCs. We believe that open source software engineers are best positioned to pave the way towards making widespread the concept of open business plans. We highly encourage those wishing to attend this presentation to page through this example open business plan.
The Concept of An Open Business Plan
Example: Neda’s By* Libre Services
LinuxFest NW 2011
April 29, 2011
Article and Presentation Available on-line at:
Copyright © 2011 Mohsen BANAN
Permission is granted to make and distribute complete (not partial)
verbatim copies of this document provided that the copyright notice
and this permission notice are preserved on all copies.
1 Basic Theory Of Capitalism
1.1 Idea, Money, People
1.2 Mono-Existential Capitalism and Poly-Existential Capitalism
1.3 If Your Business is Libre Based, Then Consider An Open Business Plan
1.4 An Open Business Plan
1.5 Ramifications Of An Open Business Plan
1.6 Example: Neda’s ByStar Libre Services
II Problem and Scope: Ills and Contours of the Cure
2 Problem: Dominance of Internet By Large Corporations
2.1 Deal Made: Free-of-Charge Service - Targeted Advertising
2.2 Ramifications Of The Deal
2.3 Internet Application Services Today: Ill Directed
2.4 Causes For Concern
3 Solution: Autonomous Libre Services
3.1 We Need To Be Very Multi-Dimensional and Inter-Disciplinary
3.2 General Contours Of The Cure
3.3 A Model Inversion: From Industrial to Convivial
3.4 Our Goal
4 What Are ByStar Libre Services
4.1 Libre Services: A non-proprietary Model
4.2 From Free Software To Libre Services
4.3 From Software Wars To Service Wars
5 Challenges of the Libre Services Model
5.1 Model’s Track Record and Limitations
5.2 What Is ByStar
5.3 Layering of Concepts and Results
III Language, Definitions, Models and Concepts
7 Nature Of Poly-Existentials
8 Some Modeling Concepts
8.1 Operation in the For-Profit and Non-Proprietary Quadrant
8.2 Software - Service Continuum – Where Proprietary Looses
8.2.1 Protocols Hour Glass – Note Convergence in the Middle
8.2.2 ByStar Hour Glass – Importance of Convergence in the Middle
8.2.3 Service, Desktop, Laptop, PDA Continuum Libre everywhere
8.3 Societal End-To-End Argument vs Rise of the Middle
8.4 The Engineering End-To-End Argument
8.4.1 Engineering End-To-End Summary
8.4.2 ByStar End-To-End Philosophy
9 Some Societal Concepts
9.1 Ivan Illich’s Concept of Convivial Tools
9.1.1 Convivial Software
9.2 Responsibilities of Professions and Health of Society
9.3 Halaal and Haraam – Ethics of Software and Service
9.3.1 Halaal and Convivial Software Quadrant
IV By* Federation of Autonomous Libre Services
10 ByStart Entities
10.1 ByStar Registered Domains
10.2 Libre Services Supporting Organizations
11 Libre Services Engine
11.1 By* Features and Capabilities
12 ByStar Appliances – Service As Software
13 Interface Model of ByStar User Env and ByStar Services
13.1 Design Big, Implement Gradually
14 Software To Service Aggregation
15 By* Naming principles What Is ByStar
V Economic and Business Dimensions of ByStar
16 The Libre Services Revenue Model
16.1 ByStar Supply Chain Model
17 Marketing Strategy
17.1 Marketing Messages (West and East)
17.2 Marketing Strategy: Broad Philosophical Hell Raising
17.3 Elevator Story
17.4 Our Principal Sustainable Advantage
VI Societal, Inter-Societal, Social and Legal Ramifications
18 Identifying the Tear Points – (1) East, (2) Software-Service Continuum
18.1 Proprietary Market Insignificance is Libre Opportunity – Eg: Perso-Arabic Script
18.2 LSIP Copyleft License
18.3 Key Documents
2 From Software Wars To Service Wars
3 Layering of Concepts and Results
4 Operation in the For-Profit and Non-Proprietary Quadrant
5 Protocols Hour Glass – Note Convergence in the Middle
6 ByStar Hour Glass – Importance of Convergence in the Middle
7 Halaal and Convivial Software Quadrant
8 ByStart Entities
9 Libre Services Supporting Organizations
10 Interface Model of ByStar User Env and ByStar Services
11 Software To Service Aggregation
12 The Libre Services Revenue Model
13 ByStar Supply Chain Model
My name is Mohsen BANAN.
I am a Software Engineer.
I offer you these thoughts as part of the Internet Engineering Profession’s responsibility to Society and Humanity.
I solicit your feedback and welcome your comments.
The title of this presentation is xxxx.
With your comments and feedback you can reach me at: contact or email me at email@example.com.
This document is web published as Records-201105012 at: http://www.neda.com/Records/201105012.
The material presented on this page does not constitute an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to purchase.
Good Things Can Happen When
- Idea (Innovation)
- Money (Venture Capital)
- People (Talent)
Mono-Existential Capitalism Is Very Healthy
Poly-Existential Capitalism Is Very Broken (So Called Western IPR – Copyright, Patent – Is The Wrong Basis)
So, You Are An Engineer.
Recognize the disconnect between
Venture Capital Culture
Engineering Profession’s Culture
An open business plan is a business plan with unlimited audience. The business plan is typically web published and made available to all.
An Open Business Plan Does Not Demand Total Transparency
Secrecy Is Often Part Of Good Business Execution
ByStar Federation of Autonomous Libre Services
A Jujitsu on the IPR Model.
Let’s Analyze it!
In A Blink Of An Eye
American Public Made a Deal with American Corporations.
Free-of-Charge People Got:
Email (Personal Messages) Calendar, Address Book, ... Content Publication Facebook Webpage & “Friends”
American Corporations Got:
Semantic Analysis of Email Spying with consent Logs and Trail Analysis Behavior Cross References
- A New Currency Has Been Created: Personal Information, Privacy, Autonomy
- An Established Business Model that Translates Personal Information into Targeted Advertising
- The Debit Side of this New Currency is Humanity
- Americans got there with no discussion of long term social consequences. No discussion of Sociology, Social Psychology, Morality.
- Mr. Zuckerberg (Founder of Facebook) Has Done More Harm To The Human Race Than Anybody Else His Age.
- And He Was Celebrated As “Person Of The Year” (Time Magazine).
- America is mostly an Economic Society.
- And now this American Disease is spreading through out the world.
- The wrong model: proprietary, owned and controlled
- Ownership oriented to the Service Provider
- Non-transparent software
- User information owned and controlled by the proprietary Service Provider
- Structurally incoherent
- Ad hoc: no overarching engineering design
- Driven by short-term business expedience and profit
- Functionally uncoordinated
- Networks are societal resources and their usage model must not be left to free markets and business.
- The Internet is today controlled by large corporations, and critical civil liberties are being compromised.
- Current Copyright and Patent laws are in conflict with nature and are harming humanity.
- As first generation engineers we have a responsibility to safeguard the societal welfare.
The goal of this project is to:
Liberate Internet Services
In Order To Get It Right
We Need To Consider Ramifications Of:
Software As Service
Service As Software
the Software-Service Continuum
In ALL Dimensions:
Philosophical, Societal, Engineering, Economic and Business
Is All Within Our Scope.
ByStar Federation of Autonomous Libre Services
- The Full Scope of Internet Services: Star “*” in ByStar means everything
- Fully Libre: Complete rejection of so-called Western IPR
- Autonomous When Possible – Usually End-To-End
- Federated Based on Autonomous – Central only when required
Paving the way towards: The Convivial and Halaal Quadrant
We Are Proposing:
A Model Inversion For All Of Internet Services
From Industrial To Convivial
Economic and Societal Ramifications
- Full Spectrum Internet Services: Functionally Equivalent to What Exists hotmail, yahoo mail, google mail – Facebook, Linkedin – youtube, search
- Full Software Service Continuum – (Service, Desktop, Notebook, Handheld)
- Focused on User Autonomy and Privacy
- Purely Based on Libre Software
- A New Radical Model but Fully Evolutionary
This We call:
ByStar (By*) Federation of Autonomous Libre Services
A non-proprietary Model
delivery of Internet services
Free Software Ideology For Internet Application Services
Beyond Free Software
We have won the Free Software battle Proprietary Software Already Lost We Demonstrated Two Things:
- Model: Free/Libre is Superior to Proprietary
- Implementation: GNU/Linux is Superior to Windows (More Convivial)
But Now The Game Has Changed – Software has mostly become Service.
Limitation and Challenges:
Software is inherently collaborative and cumulative.
(naturally absorbs energy) Service is inherently remote and isolated. (but that can be changed)
Service is inherently remote and isolated.
(but that can be changed – When Service Is Software)
- By* is a coherent framework for enabling complex interactions among people, businesses and information.
- Small and Medium Businesses: ForSMB.net Individuals:
- ByName.net, ByAlias.net, ByMemory
- Places and Events: ByWhere.net, ByEvent.net
- Information: ByTopic.org
- For Interactions: ByInteraction.net
- Language, Definitions, Models and Concepts
- ByStar Federation of Autonomous Libre Services
- Joining ByStar, Obtaining ByStar Software and Using ByStar
- Engineering Design of ByStar
- ByStar Vertical Slices (Feature Families)
- Economic and Business Dimensions of ByStar
- Societal, Inter-Societal, Social and Legal Ramifications
- Collaborative and Guardianship Framework
- So Called Western IPR is in conflict with Nature
- What Are Poly-Existentials:
- Ownership is a one-to-one relationship
- An Ownership Mistake With Ramifications Broader than Slavery
- Pointer to PLPC – Full title in box
Service, Desktop, Laptop, PDA Continuum Free/Libre everywhere
Hour Glass= Diversity on Top – Diversity at the Bottom – Cohesion and Convergence in the middle
Consistent OS: Linux everywhere Consistent GUI: Gnome everywhere Consistent Applications: Emacs, ... everywhere Deep, Broad and Consistent Integration through Free Software and Libre Services
- Consistent OS: Linux everywhere
- Consistent GUI: Gnome everywhere
- Consistent Applications: Emacs, ... everywhere
Deep, Broad and Consistent Integration through Free Software and Libre Services
- Interactions Amongst People/Businesses and Information Could Be:
- Direct – End-to-End
- Central – Middle-Controlled
- End-To-End vs Middle-Controlled Architectures have both Engineering and Societal Ramifications
- Today’s Industrial Internet Application Services are generally Central and Middle-Controlled.
- The Convivial ByStar Libre Services are generally End-To-End and Middle-Light.
- The End-To-End model is Autonomy and Privacy Friendly
- The Middle-Controlled model is Hostile to Autonomy and Privacy
- End-to-end Arguments in System Design http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf
- Rethinking the design of the Internet: The end to end arguments vs. the brave new world http://www.csd.uoc.gr/y558/papers/Rethinking_2001.pdf
- The Rise of the Middle and the Future of End-to-End. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3724.txt
- Tools for Conviviality - Ivan Illich https://clevercycles.com/tools_for_conviviality
The most important benefit of the end to end arguments is that they preserve the flexibility, generality, and openness of the Internet. Movement to put more functions inside the network jeopardizes that generality and flexibility as well as historic patterns of innovation. A new principle evident already is that elements that implement functions that are invisible or hostile to the end to end application, in general, have to be “in” the network, because the application cannot be expected to include that intermediate element voluntarily.
- Make Services Autonomous Whenever Possible (peer-to-peer oriented)
- Invest and Focus on End-to-End communications facilities amongst Autonomous Libre Services
- When a Federated Service functions as an intermediary, limit its role to the bare essential of hooking the two ends. Thereafter, communications can be end-to-end.
Tools are intrinsic to social relationships. An individual relates himself in action to his society through the use of tools that he actively masters, or by which he is passively acted upon.
To the degree that he masters his tools, he can invest the world with his meaning; to the degree that he is mastered by his tools, the shape of the tool determines his own self-image. Convivial tools are those which give each person who uses them the greatest opportunity to enrich the environment with the fruits of his or her vision. Industrial tools deny this possibility to those who use them and they allow their designers to determine the meaning and expectations of others. Most tools today cannot be used in a convivial fashion.
- Unix/GNU Vs Microsoft Windows
- Unified file model, pipe, small dedicated progs, ...
- Emacs vs Vi
- buffers, major-modes, minor-modes, key-maps, frames, windows, regions,
- qmail vs sendmail
- complete separation of queuing and spooling from submission, delivery and protocols.
Enable the tool user to be creative and expressive
- What Does “Profession” Mean? It also includes Societal Responsibility.
- Halaal means Moral/Ethical – Okay to do/consume
- Haraam means Immoral/Unethical/Harmful – Should Not Be Done/Consumed
Defining Halaal Software/Internet Service:
- Is A Perpetual Transparent Modifiable Poly-Existential – Equivalent of “Free Software”
- Its Use Has Been Endorsed By The Engineering Profession
- Its Use Has Not Been Prohibited By Ethicists (Sources of Emulation)
neda.com – freeprotocols.org – by-star.net
ByName.net ByName.com – ByAlias.net ByAlias.com – ByMemory.com ByMemory.net ByFamily.com ByFamily.net ByWhere.net
BySource.org ByBinary.org – ByContent.net – ByTopic.net
- Rudimentary Manifestations
- Linux - Apache - MySQL - Perl/PHP/Python
- Savannah and Savane
- Wikipedia and Mediawiki
- Can we do better than that?
- Expand it
- Formalize it
- Make it be cumulative
- A named entity domain - Owned by the entity
- A public website: My Internet
- An expanded website for friends: My Extranet
- A private portal: My Intranet
- By* Libre Self-Publication Facility
- By* Libre Texting
- Email, e-fax, etc.
- Blog, photo gallery, GeneWeb, etc.
- BACS Autonomous Appliances – Guaranteed Autonomy
- BISP Appliances
- ByStar User Environments – Blee on Debian and Ubuntu
- Re-Branding of ByStar
Design Big, Implement Gradually
Take full advantage of the Domain Notation depth.
- On The Side of User
United States, West – Key Marketing Messages
- Autonomous Services vs Corp Owned Services
- Convivial Model vs Industrial Model
- Engineering vs Business
- Libre vs IPR Regime
- Preservation of Freedom, Privacy and Autonomy
East, Rest of the World – Key Marketing Messages
- Societal Autonomy, Assertion of Sovereignty
- Rejection of American Hegemony – Through the Libre Alternative
Rejection of Western Copyright and Patent Law:
Nature of Poly-Existentials Abolishment of the so-called Western IPR Regime PLPC-xxx
Preservation of Privacy and Autonomy:
Direct attack against proprietary competitors.
Public Sector Challenges:
Solicit Governmental Support.
We use the existing Internet Service Provider Characteristics of:
- Proprietary and Closed
- Disregard for Privacy and Autonomy
as a Marketing vehicle to promote our functionally equivalent services which we call ByStar Libre Service.
The scope of ByStar is ALL Internet Services. The equivalent of MSN, AOL, Facebook, Linkedin, ... All combined.
This is possible with a model inversion (from Proprietary to Libre) which brings the collaborative and cumulative characteristics of Free Software to Libre Services.
Lots of Coherent Established Assets + A complex business model based on rejection of patents and copyright + Rare fitness to execute this particular model.
Software engineers are best suited to lead this
- East – Conviviality, Halaal and Libre are more Eastern. The West is too deeply committed to IPR and pure economic models and self.
- Software-Service Continuum – Transparent Software and Transparent Service permits continuity of Service and Software. This is where the proprietary model looses.
- See Perso-Arabic Document
LSIP CopyLeft License Afero GPL V3 License LSIP is Open-Source and Free Software Dual Licensed if needed
- Neda Open Business:
- By* Libre Services Libre Services Manifesto PLPC-100105
- ByStar full picture PLPC-110004
- Unsolicited Proposal PLPC-110005
- By* Libre Texting
This document was produced with Halaal Software and is published using Halaal Internet Services.
It uses LaTeX, beamer, ByStar, Blee, Emacs, ...
- Totally Libre and Copyleft
- No proprietary software used in preparation, presentation and communication of this information
- Slides prepared with beamer-latex
- Presented using Ubuntu-Debian-GNU-Linux and Maemo on PDA
- Served as an Autonomous Libre Service using Debian, Apache, Plone, ...